Not to be outdone by Microsoft's Xbox 360 HD Netflix streaming, Roku quietly announced on the Roku Forum that they will offer HD streaming on the Netflix Player by the end of the year. Here's the full post from the Roku Forums by "RokuTim" (is this Tim Twerdahl, VP of Consumer Products for Roku?):
First, let me apologize for our delay in responding to this thread. Typically we don’t comment on unannounced products and features, but clearly this is an important topic to you, our most loyal and involved fans. So, I’m pulling back the curtain a bit earlier than usual. Here’s the scoop…
- Roku will be delivering Netflix in HD by the end of the year
- Roku will be using Advanced Profile encodes which will deliver HD at substantially lower bit-rates than what Xbox is offering
- The number of titles is up to Netflix but the library will be the same as or larger than the Xbox library
- The UI will be updated to run in 720p and more covers will be visible on the screen at a time
- And the release will include another major new feature that you’ll have to wait a bit longer to learn about
All of us at Roku truly appreciate your interest and support. We build these products for you and it’s hugely gratifying to get your feedback – even when you’re unhappy with us. We will continue to do everything we can to deliver the best content at the best value in the most consumer-friendly manner possible.
Thanks for your support,
Thanks to Matthew for sending this in.