Last night I was working on an unrelated project when I came across keyboard shortcuts for the Netflix player. One of them was for a menu, which had a strange entry “Load custom DFXP File” which turns out is a W3 standard for subtitles! So I started off finding out how to construct my own SubRip to DFXP converter.
However things turned out to be not as simple as it first appeared. The Netflix player apparently is very picky about it’s XML, and by picky I mean the kid freaking out that the peas are touching the potatoes picky. I think it may just be using text parsing, but I can’t confirm since Netflix obfuscates their Silverlight code, making it hard to follow. This presented me with some difficulty until I started up Wireshark and captured the DFXP file for the Lost pilot episode and used that as a template.
If you're a Mac user, Codeman38 has put together a Python version.
Thanks to Harry for sending this in.