While camping last week I wondered how much data I would use to watch a movie on Netflix streaming, and Netflix has a support page about data usage, how to change the setting, and what the default setting is for different countries.
Netflix: Manage Bandwidth Usage
If you are interested in setting a limit on how much data our service will use, you can adjust your video quality setting. Navigate to Netflix.com/VideoQuality to manage the amount of data you use when playing movies and TV shows on Netflix.
There are 3 settings to choose from:
- Good quality (uses up to 0.3 GB per hour)
- Better quality (uses up to 0.7 GB per hour)
- Best quality (uses up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour if watching HD)
Different regions have different default settings:
- The default setting in the US is “Best”.
- The default setting in Canada is “Good”.
- The default setting in Latin America is “Best,” except in Brazil where it is “Good”.
- The default setting across the UK and Ireland is “Best”.